The Guardian and Hot Key Books are nearing the end of their search for the next generation of writers of children’s fiction with the Guardian Hot Key Books Young Writers Prize.
The shortlist has been announced and the over all winner(s) will be revealed at the London Book Fair, 15 April – 17 April 2013.
The process has been so exciting and we do hope to run the contest again, but we can’t know for sure that we will. Follow us on Twitter and you won’t miss out on the news, if we do.
Here is all the information for the 2012 competition:
We are looking for new young writers between the ages of 18 and 25, who write in either of two categories: for ages 9-12 or 13-19. Entrants should be unpublished talents new to the literary world that are passionate about writing for children. The winners, one for each age category, will be selected by a panel of judges who will consult with school children. Each winner will be given editorial support and the chance to be published by Hot Key Books.
Submissions of partial manuscripts will be accepted from 30 April and close on 31 May, with a second stage of full manuscripts in October.
SUBMISSIONS FOR 2012 HAVE NOW CLOSED.
If you have any questions, have a read of our Young Writers Prize FAQs.
Click here to read the full terms and conditions. Please ensure you have read through and agree to all of the terms and conditions of this prize if you have entered.
The Prize will have four stages.
- Initial submissions (4000 words + 1 page synopsis) will be accepted from midnight on Monday 30th April 2012. The closing date for initial submissions will be midnight on Thursday 31st May 2012.
- Hot Key Books will shortlist entries to a final 20 by Friday 21st September 2012. Full manuscripts will be requested from successful applicants (9-12 category: 30-50,000 words. 13-19 category: 50-80,000 words).
- A final shortlist of 5 entries for each category will be sent out to a judging panel on Saturday December 1st 2012.
- The judging panel will choose one winner for each category. Winners will be announced at London Book Fair 2013.
- There will be two overall Prize winners, one from the 9-12 category and one from the 13-19 category.
- The Prize is a potential worldwide publishing contract for each winner with Hot Key Books and full editorial support.