Aged between 18 – 25? An aspiring writer? Win the chance to be published by us!
We are delighted to announce our Young Writers Prize – that searches for unpublished writing talent for young people – will be returning for a second year, and this time will be supported by Kobo.
The Prize looks to uncover new writing talent between the ages of 18 and 25, who submit their work in either of two categories: 9-12 and young adult (for ages 13-19). Last year we saw over 350 entries from writers all over the world with two winners scooping the chance to be published by us. Their novels, The Rig by Joe Ducie and Vivian Versus the Apocalypse by Katie Coyle are to be released in print and digital formats this September.
The winners, one for each age category, will be selected by a panel of judges who will consult with school children. Each winner will be given editorial support, the chance to be published by Hot Key Books and additional exposure via the Kobo eBookstore (www.kobobooks.com). 10 shortlisted candidates will also win a Kobo device.
The judges of the prize this year will be:
- Hot Key Books Publisher Emily Thomas
- Kobo’s Children’s Specialist Antonia Fowler
- Director of the National Literacy Trust Jonathan Douglas
- Guardian Children’s Books Editor Julia Eccleshare
- Hot Key authors Fleur Hitchcock and Matt Whyman
- Children’s Bookseller Katie Clapham from Storytellers, Inc.
- Bloggers Vivienne De Costa from Serendipity Reviews and M from We Sat Down
- With consultation from school children from Globe School, Southwark, London and St John’s School, Lacey Green, Bucks
To enter you must be:
- Between the ages of 18 – 25 (at time of submission)
- Unpublished and unagented (you can submit if you have self-published but read the T&Cs first)
- From anywhere in the world, but writing in English
The Prize will have four stages.
- Initial submissions (4000 words + 1 page synopsis + author bio + entry form) will be accepted from 9am on Thursday 20th June 2013. The closing date for initial submissions will be 5pm on Monday 22nd July 2013.
- Hot Key Books will shortlist entries to a final 20 by Friday 28th October 2013. Full manuscripts will be requested from successful applicants (9-12 category: 30-50,000 words. 13-19 category: 50-80,000 words).
- A final shortlist of 5 entries for each category will be sent out to a judging panel on Monday 6th January 2014.
- The judging panel will choose two winners. Winners will be announced at London Book Fair 2014.
- There will be two overall Prize winners, one from the 9-12 category and one from the 13-19 category.
- The Prize is a potential worldwide publishing contract for each winner with Hot Key Books and full editorial support.
Download the Entry Form and Competition Rules Please make sure you read the terms and conditions carefully. By submitting your entry you will be agreeing to the terms and conditions.
GOOD LUCK – we can’t wait to read your entries!